Inspired by the classic book, Shelters, Shacks, and Shanties by DC Beard, we've partnered with design/build firm, PAPER AIRPLANE to bring your a week long camp for the builder and explorer. Spend the week in the workshop and the woods designing and building shelters and structures from materials... READ MORE
Inspired by the classic book, Shelters, Shacks, and Shanties by DC Beard, we've partnered with design/build firm, PAPER AIRPLANE to bring your a week long camp for the builder and explorer. Spend the week in the workshop and the woods designing and building shelters and structures from materials easily found on the land of our worksite near St. Mary's Glacier. This is a special one week only collaboration camp for kids 11-15. Space is limited to 10 kids. Don't miss out.
Contact Time: 9-3pm with an overnight on Thursday. We'll be back to The Craftsman & Apprentice by 3pm on Friday or parents are welcome to meet us at the campsite at noon for lunch on Friday.
Day One: Field Trip to the area around St. Mary's Glacier to explore dwellings and out buildings, and historical points of interest from 1858 Gold Rush in and around Idaho Springs, Russell’s Gulch, Central City and Black Hawk.
Day Two: Design day. Work in the PAPER AIRPLANE workshop to develop an understanding of materials, construction, and design while you collaborate to plan structures that will be built on site at our workshop land near the Glacier. PA principals, Noah Manos and Morgan Law will lead discussion about vernacular structures, work with students to develop design for their shelter and discuss construction basics.
Day 3: On site: begin shelter construction at the workshop land.
Day 4/5: Builder Overnight: Complete shelter construction. We'll make camp, enjoy the fruits of our labors while we cook a great meal and hang out by the fire. In the morning, we'll document our structures, deconstruct and clear out. We'll host a closing lunch at the workshop site before heading back to Denver.
- Day 4 dinner provided.
- Day 5 Breakfast and lunch provided.
- Campers provide sleeping bags/mats/etc.
- Choose to sleep in your shelter, a tent, or under the stars.
- $1100/two campers
THINGS TO KNOW:
- For campers ages 11-15. All campers work collaboratively and we differentiate instruction based on the abilities of each camper. Think of it as a one room school house, summer style.
- Note: our camper age range is a non-negotiable policy. Please do not register your child if they are not between the ages 5-11 during their camp session. We reserve the right to forfeit your child's camp reservation if your child does not meet the age requirements.
- Each week of summer camp is limited to 10 participants and staffed with two super talented instructors.
- Late pick-up may be subject to a $1/minute fee up to the $20 aftercare charge.
- Please pack a hat/sunglasses, water bottle and a nut-free lunch for your child.
- We provide a morning snack. Gluten and dairy free option available.
- Closed toed shoes are required.
- We will do our best to resolve any problems as they come. However, we reserve the right to excuse a child from camp if they are harming the experience of others without refund.
- Let's have fun, explore & create!
PLEASE CHECK YOUR DATES CAREFULLY.
- All camp registrations are non-refundable but are transferable to another child or session (if available). Camps fill fast. We cannot guarantee placement in another session.
- Date change or account credit requests must be made no later that 14 days before your session.
- No credits/refunds will be given for cancellations due to illness or last minute plan changes (14 days before the start of your registered session).
- If you have questions or would like to be waitlisted for a sold out session, please Contact Us
- Read our FAQs and shop policies here.